Choosing a community platform can be challenging. Moving an existing community to a new platform can seem even harder.
But migrating your community can present opportunities to rejuvenate, re-engage and even grow your membership.
Blaise Grimes-Viort, Guild Community Collective host and founder of community consultancy Is The Answer, recently led a Community Conversation with someone who's done exactly this. Kashi Chellen is the Community Manager for the Happiness & Humans run by The Happiness Index. The Happiness Index's employee engagement and happiness platform helps HR and people professionals to understand how teams "think, feel and behave".
The Happiness & Humans community is a space where HR and People professionals who are serious about changing the world of work for the better can connect and collaborate.
Kashi and Blaise discussed:
- Why The Happiness Index decided Slack was no longer right for their community
- How they planned and communicated the move
- The results and outcomes for the community and its members
The principles could apply to any community platform change. Kashi's tips include:
- Running a community needs a change of mindset - "it's less about the numbers and quantity. And it's more about the quality."
- Why accessiblity, aesthetics and user-friendliness are important for community engagement
- The importance of planning and mapping out a timeline
- How to decide what content to bring over to a new platform
- The effectiveness of clear, consistent communication with your members and team
- The unexpected benefits of changing your community platform - and how to measure success
See the full recording here:
If you're a HR or people professional, apply to join the Happiness & Humans community
Get 30+ tips for creating engagement in your online community
Join community peers
Want to connect with peers and experts in community and discuss your own challenges around migrating community platforms?
Apply to join Guild Community Collective, a free online community for community and social media professionals, however experienced you are.
Join Guild 🤝
See for yourself how the Guild experience is different to WhatsApp, Slack, LinkedIn or Facebook Groups.
Guild is a safe space to connect, communicate and collaborate with others.
Join us on a platform that is purpose-built for creating groups, communities and networks on mobile.